My environment is a futuristic
city that’s inspired by real places like Toronto and Shanghai. These cities
have tall skyscrapers and bright lights that give the cities a very sleek,
modern feel. I feel like the environment would be suitable for a story related
shooter, where the player would enter from the road, and would proceed down the
street. The building on the north side of the module would be the objective
point for the player, and there would be a lot of shady NPCs hanging around the
streets on the way. The idea has changed quite a bit from when I had originally
started the project. Originally, the project consisted of a module that was
very much based on the height of the buildings in conjunction with the
platforms that would connect them, but over time I have made it so that the
module is played on the ground, as I feel like it would run smoother as a ground
level on a practical level from the perspective of level design. There was
plenty of reference material that I could find online because of the type of
setting that I had chosen for my environment. Some of the media that I had
chosen to use as a reference included Blade Runner, Star Wars & Mass
Effect. All of these pieces of media had environments that were very gritty and
I felt captured elements of what a futuristic planet could look like. There’s
an expansive array of information available for all three of these franchises
because of the amount of work that’s been officially released within the
universe. It’s very useful, as you can see what goes into established worlds,
both in their concept design and the depth of the worlds that are shown. These
franchises have planets that are often showing a connection between the
environment and the way that people act. As an example of this, Blade Runner’s
environment is very dark and gritty, so the characters that are a product of
that environment are very shady. In Star Wars, one of the main planets from the
film has the higher ups from the Jedi order in a planet that is very sleek,
clean and light. The only times during the films that the planet is shown
during night time is during scenes that have people who are more shady being
incorporated into the scenes. These are usually during bar scenes, showing the
nightlife of the world. As opposed to this, Jedi Temple scenes are usually
shown during the daytime, where we associate these characters with peace and
tranquillity. I think that these details are important, because it’s
interesting to see the thought process that went behind the creation of these
cities. I feel that seeing the thought process that goes towards creating these
worlds affected my design, as it had an effect on how I approached it. The
environment has to be practical within its own world; otherwise it will not
make sense within context. Syd Mead
and Ridley Scott were my main inspirations for this project because of the
consistency of the worlds that they were creating. Alien, Tron, Blade Runner
and Prometheus had at least one of them behind the scenes helping to shape the
world, and it's apparent with their style that they like the contrast between
the dark nights and bright cities. I created concepts for this project on
paper, trying to create different perspectives of the buildings that I would be
re-creating in Maya.
At the start of the project I was leaning towards a concept that was
based on a city where the game would be navigated through on the rooftops. As
the project progressed, I decided to take the module to the lower level, as I
felt like this could help capture the grittier atmosphere that I wanted. When
we think of the future, we think of flying cars and skyscrapers. Having it
played out on the ground is a nice contrast to this. I feel like I could've
done more research on early science fiction and its inception as a genre. That
may have helped me put modernised science fiction media into context. Lighting
can affect the mood of a piece drastically, and sometimes it can happen in
subtle ways. In real life, no one thing is just one colour, with there being a
different amount of colours that blend into each other that makes the image
that you see. So many variables can go into making a picture what it is. These
variables can have an effect on the picture by hiding or distorting part of a
picture from the viewer, giving symbolism to a picture through use of shadows
and light. With my designs, I wanted there to be a clear distinction between
the people who would be living in the world. The lower into the city you get
the darker everything is going to get. The top of the city would be very
bright, with it also being very open. The lower cities would be very crowded. I
guess an equivalent would be the streets being akin to something like the
streets of New York, where there’s a lot of people to the point that it’s
almost overcrowded. There’s a similar thing going on for the planet Taris from
the video game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I do feel like I'm not happy with how my final piece turned out. I think
the concepts for my work was much more detailed than how it actually came out. I
aim to improve in Maya for the next project, because I found it so difficult to
recreate the things that I actually had planned in my concepts.
During this project, I had to use
a variety of software. As a result of this, I felt that I had a better
understanding of where I am at when it comes to my skills with certain
software. I think that my Photoshop skills are improving, and I have learnt a variety
of ways in how I can create my concept designs with both minimalistic designs
and more complicated pieces. For my
Photoshop concept pieces, there were a lot of sleek, slim designs that were
created with outlines and solid coloured textures. I used a lot of layering for
my piece and created a cartoon styled environment that was based in contrasting
images and sharp cuts. In Maya, I feel like I’ve learnt how to create objects
that are a bit more complicated within my environment. Before this project, I
had a very limited knowledge concerning the use of Maya and how I can create
environments, but with this project I was forced to create an environment that
would need objects that would actually belong in a street. This consisted of
street lamps, a variety of buildings and windows. With my Maya work prior to
this project, I could only make really simple shapes, to the point that I felt
limited with what I could actually design because I didn’t think that I could
replicate the concept design in Maya. I also felt this project was a learning
experience when it came to the different array of things that I had to combine
to make something as simple as a street. With prior projects, every piece of
Maya work was singular objects, so I had to look at my environment from the
perspective of somebody playing the game, which made me think about where I
wanted to place my objects. A player will often subconsciously know where to go
just based on certain factors in a game pointing them into a certain direction,
so I tried to have everything funnel to the north side of the model.
No comments:
Post a Comment